The impact of SEO on politics has yet to be really felt, but Chris Bower from Open Left is following the Electronic Grass Roots strategy I wrote about a year ago with his Google Bombing John McCain initiative.
Using the best practices of repuation management, Chris has chosen articles from established media outlets and is attempting to drive links to these articles with targeted anchor text. Since the articles are keyword rich, on target and focused, they are highly relevant to the phrases. Since the anchor text Chris suggests are taken from the article titles, it is very difficult for the engines to differentiate between "legitimate, editorial endorsements" and the kind of manipulation.
The only red flag for the engines will be that most bloggers will go ahead and link to all nine articles from one location instead of taking the time to create individual posts to support each topic/position they are trying to Google Bomb.
For example, one social commentary blog posted all of the links from a single story, although the author did at least take the time to change up the anchor text and add some more commentary.
Here are nine positions by John McCain that shows his true political allegence. He is not a Maverick or an Independent, he has sold his soul to the Neo-Con Right Wing to get the nomination.
(1) John McCain Filibusters Minimum Wage Hike accuses the Democrats of class warfare — While adding to the war on the poor.
(2) McCain The Hypocrite economic policy shaped by lobbyist, just like every other republican agenda item. Bought and sold by Corporate America
(3) Bush, McCain On Social Security : Shredding the safety net. John McCain doesn’t need Social Security – He has two government pensions and married an heiress. .
(4) McCain Defends Nafta : It makes it so much easier to get export jobs when you create a special tax free zone and give corporations refunds for sending your jobs over seas. John McCain is a man of the people — Who make over $250,000 a year.
(5) McCain On Irag : Keep Troops in Iraq for "A Hundred Years".
(6) McCain Supports Bush Veto : Deny kids health insurance expansion.
(7) McCain Opposes GI Benefits: : He already got a government funded college education, why should our troops expect the same.
(8) McCain Opposed Choice: He supports individual rights of corporations, but not women’s rights to control their own body.
(9) McCain Defends Bush’s Iraq Policy : The biggest disaster in 225 years of American Foreign Policy and John McCain, the man running on his experience, supports Bush’s Policies.